Friday, December 15, 2006

Decking the halls and shopping the malls

I finished shopping yesterday and now need to wrap and mail stuff -- I'm late, I know, and it'll be express delivery. Oh well. I was pleased at what I found and all the sales. I do love a bargain...

Santa is also bringing some stuff for ME that I bought yesterday. *grin*

And I've been baking up a storm this morning: the holiday cake which is as good as I thought it would be, rum balls that are really loaded, and the wonderful, crisp Taku Lodge ginger cookies. Still have a few things to go, but I've at least got goodies.

And tonight we see the classic "Miracle on 34th Street," which I love -- better than "It's a Wonderful Life." Of course "The Bishop's Wife" with Loretta Young and Cary Grant is just marvelous and is one of my all-time favorites ... as are "Holiday Inn" and "White Christmas" with Bing Crosby

Just for fun, I took a look at favorites from other folks, and I guess I'm really getting older, because movies like "A Christmas Story" (you'll shoot your eye out!), "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation" (the squirrel in the tree is hysterical), and "Nightmare before Christmas" are among those listed as "older" movies. To be sure, "Wonderful Life" and "Miracle..." also are included on most lists, but the others seem very contemporary to me.

We loved "Polar Express" though, and I've enjoyed the Santa Clause movies. One very un-traditional and potentially offensive movie that we laughed through was "Bad Santa," with Billy Bob Thornton (one of Tony's favorite actors). It is not for sentimental traditionalists.

I'll bet that a bunch of the favorites will be aired this coming week.

I love getting cards from friends far and near, but especially the ones I don't stay in touch with throughout the year. One such card arrived today, and my very talented friend from high school is now the dean of a university!

For a couple of years now, we've sent New Year's letters rather than Christmas ones -- okay, partly because of too much to do and so little time (aka procrastination), but also because I think they're really read more intently because they arrive after the rush. It sort of wraps up the old and looks forward to the new.

My uncle Tom also did New Year's letters and I will miss hearing his always-eloquent words this year. He could tell a story so that you felt you were right there with him, watching the aurora borealis in the dark Alaska night or warming up at a beach bonfire somewhere beyond ambient light.

The sun is shining today and it's colder. Feels more like December. No rain in the forecast for a week plus -- yeah, we need more, but it can come in January, after everyone has traveled safely. I will so not miss the airports at Christmas!

No comments: