Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Embracing change

Oh, I know I sound like a broken record -- "Change change chaaaannngeeee......change of foo-ools"
(Yes, I know it's "chain." I'm taking literary license.)

We're back from 10 days visiting our pasts and our present, and, potentially, our future. And change looms large today. It's technically our last day in real estate, as Tony starts a new opportunity tomorrow, and we're shutting down our little firm. The cheese moved, and we're finding new cheese.

So we've done lots of looking back over the last couple of weeks, and I'm sure you haven't read the last of it. As for the new opportunity, it means the end of our working across the room from each other and the relative freedom to control our time, but it also means positive cash flow, a chance to do work he's very good at and enjoys doing, and time off that will actually BE time off (every time -- save this last 10 days -- we'd go out of town, we'd inevitably get an offer or request to show or some real estate concern, which meant we'd have to take time to deal with it remotely while we were "on vacation.") It's a good thing.

I'll still be working from our home office -- cleaning up the remnants of our time in real estate, doing various freelance writing gigs that are coming my way, eventually working to grow that business a bit. I've freelanced at various times in past lives and always enjoy it. It's familiar ground, and will keep me as busy as I want to be.

So that's the biggest change I've talked around in the past several posts. A door opened; we walked through it.

I rather like change. It keeps the mind fresh, thinking of possibilities, of consequences, of ways to grow and learn and become. In every instance, change in my life has brought me good things, even when it's been hard. I believe that this new opportunity will do the same.

I am grateful for all the friends we've made in real estate and the learning experiences it's provided. It's been an interesting ride, and one that's allowed us to add some good skills, to learn about ones we didn't know we had, and to transition between who we were into who we are now. And now it's on to the next life lessons.

No comments: