Monday, August 16, 2010

Books -- Day 10 -- a love/hate relationship

Day 10 – A book you thought you wouldn’t like but ended up loving

While there have, I'm sure, been several such books, the one that comes to mind is "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini.

There was quite a lot of press and hoopla out about this book when it came out, and I just was not interested in reading some novel about Afghanistan and its political turmoil. After 9/11, I turned from a news junkie to a no-news bystander: I simply could not bear to hear more about the pain and despair and grief, the well-laid plans, the evil that was so terribly clearly loose in the world.

So the book sat on my shelf, on loan to me by a voracious reader friend who had highly recommended it.

I don't remember why I picked it up,

But I hardly put it down until I finished it. It was heart-wrenching, about guilt and loss and finding some sort of redemption, and about how decisions and events even in childhood can take a huge toll on our later lives. It was an amazing look at a culture that is very different from ours, one that has not been either kind nor easily understood. And it's written more like a memoir than a novel.

No comments: