Saturday, April 14, 2007

Sewing memories and checking off lists

New curtains are actually hanging in the bathroom window. They look GOOD. I had a bit of trouble with the tension rods, but think I fixed it, at least temporarily. But it is nice to have curtains that coordinate with the rest of the room. So our bath looks pretty good -- photos hung, clean, new curtains. The other bath I did a while back and I like that too.

Next: my desk. *shudder*

I got out the sewing machine today and had to spend a little time with the instruction book to remember everything, not that I ever used this one all that much.

It's my mother's Bernina 830. She gave it to me around 1998 when she couldn't get downstairs to the basement anymore to sew. The instruction booklet is filled with her notes in the margins and samples of each of the stitches and the different presser feet (foots? feet?).

I remembered so many things that she sewed for me and for Rachel on that Bernina over the years -- most especially (because it is around Easter) I remembered the white eyelet Easter dress. R was about 8, maybe 7, and we'd looked all over Indianapolis to find an Easter dress. We both wanted one of white eyelet, and there simply were none -- in fact, the dresses were pretty much ugly. Both of us were discouraged, and I'd reassured her that we'd find something.

We came home to a package. It was a white eyelet dress with a pink ribbon sash that Mother had made for R, and it fit perfectly. Of course we called her immediately and told her about our futile search. I don't remember ever telling her what we were hoping to find, and I don't think she'd said anything about making a dress... R looked darling in the dress, and I tied pink ribbons in her ponytails to match the sash.

Mother got her Bernina in 1973. She'd had a Singer Featherweight for many, many years, and made many garments, drapes, curtains, slipcovers, and more on that little workhorse.

**I am having more trouble with Blogger. GRRR*
More on the Bernina later. It's too late to fool around with stoopid stuff tonight.