Monday, May 07, 2007

Mission accomplished

What a ride the weather's given us these past few days, especially. It was downright cold late last week, even to the point where a woodstove fire was welcome and took the chill off on Friday night. By yesterday, however, the temps were touching 90, and at 7 a.m. this morning it was already 70 degrees outside. The wind was high both Saturday and Sunday, but really bad on Sunday.

Saturday I worked in the garden all day, and there are a bunch of tomatoes, various peppers, cucumbers, a solitary Japanese eggplant and zucchini popping green heads in the brown dirt. I also planted another row of green beans, a row of sunflowers, and one of swiss chard. It's good to have it in and growing.

And the pots around the front of the house have rosemary, lavender, zinnias, the deer-resistant Dusty Miller, and wooley thyme. It looks a bunch better.

Boy did I feel it, too. I was so stiff and sore yesterday! It's a lot of up and down and squats and bends and lifting bags of dirt. I was fortunate in that it was not hot -- windy, a bit, and sunny, but temps were moderate. I slathered on sunscreen and wore our "foreign legion" cap -- the one with the skirt that covers the back of your neck. So I wasn't crispy, although my hands (I hate garden gloves) are rough and dry.

But there. One more task off my list. And sprinklers keep it wet, so all I have to do is weed and watch. I'm starting to get lettuce; radishes are nearly ready. I love fresh produce.

We are so blessed to be where we are, in this beautiful place, blessed with good friends (who are outstanding cooks! A Cinco de Mayo party Saturday evening was a feast for eyes and tummies, and such fun, lively conversations!) My cup runneth over.

No comments: