Monday, August 23, 2010

Books -- fav story or collection-- Day 17

Day 17 – Favorite story or collection of stories (short stories, novellas, novelettes, etc.)

I've never been a huge fan of short story collections. I guess I just want a story to go on longer! But that said, there are a few that I remember well and enjoyed thoroughly.

I loved stories by Ray Bradbury, although it's been many years since I read them. I remember -- Martian Chronicles, Dandelion Wine, Something Wicked This Way Comes, I Sing the Body Electric.

Many were made into TV shows. Arguably his most prominent one is Fahrenheit 451, although that 's a novella, I think. For a book lover, and one who believes that books should not be censored, that was a powerful story.

Some of his stories were fairly scary, almost horrific in their quiet but deadly resolution. Others were just warm and emotional, cleanly written and vivid. I may have to look them up again...

I have also appreciated the short stories of Stephen King, master of the horror novels, most of which I've read over the years. I think his best ones are less based in supernatural horror and more in man's inhumanity to man. (His worst novel, hands down, was Pet Sematary, which I think was probably written to fulfill a contract or pay something off. It put me off reading anything of his for years.)

But some of his short stories or novellas are really good and have been the basis for many movies, such as "Stand By Me," originally written as "The Body." You can see all his short story collections here.

No comments: