Thursday, December 30, 2010

Reverb 10: Gifting

For Dec. 30 -- Gift. This month, gifts and gift-giving can seem inescapable. What's the most memorable gift, tangible or emotional, you received this year?

Every day of my life I receive the gift of deep love from my husband. Every day he tells me he loves me dearly. (Every day I tell him I love him dearly.) He shows me in so many different ways, from being my 'kitchen elf' in the mornings and putting away clean dishes from the dishwasher before I get up to telling me to warm up my freezing cold feet or hands on his warm ones at night in bed. When I had my accident in January he was right there for me during that whole horrible week before surgery, taking time off work, getting prescriptions, heating soup and making mint tea for me. He was there all day for the surgery and wheeled me to the car after they released me to go home. He took care of me in every way.

He rubs my feet when I plop them in his lap. He always asks what I want to watch on television, or what I want to see at the movies. (Of course I do the same back to him, which sometimes means a stalemate while we both try to make sure the other is happy with whatever choice there is to make! And yes, we know we can be somewhat co-dependent...) At least daily he tells me he loves my eyes or my hair, or tells me I am pretty, and smiles so lovingly at me.

I have received many thoughtful gifts from him this year as in years past, and he chooses wonderful, meaningful cards for special occasions, cards that sometimes make tears come to my eyes because of their sincere sweetness.

Before I met him, back when I was contemplating a move to California and turning my life upside down because I never wanted to 'wonder what would have happened if...', I knew that I wanted to be cherished, to be adored, if I was ever to love and be loved again. I knew I would never, ever, 'settle' for a relationship.

His love is a gift to me over these past 13 years that trumps all others. It is all that I dreamt it would be; all that I yearned for; all that I asked the Universe for and more.

No matter what else is going on in our lives, this love makes everything else manageable. When I am with him, I am home, no matter where our bodies actually are. It simply does not get better than this.

Thank you, honey.

No comments: