Monday, March 25, 2013

Scintilla#13, Day 11

1. Write about an experience you had that was so strange or incredible, it sounds like it could have been made up.

I am sure I've told the story of how Tony and I met somewhere in these posts, and I can find references to that magical day, but not the whole thing. Here's the snapshot version;

I'd recently moved to the Bay Area after leaving a 27-year marriage and was living alone for the first time in my adult life. New job, new life, little apartment in Pacifica looking out on my beloved ocean.

A work colleague had talked about how much fun she was having meeting people through Yahoo personals, then a fairly new way to connect. Practically on the eve of my 50th birthday, I decided to try it and put out an ad mentioning a variety of authors, saying "If you know these, we might have something in common."

Got several responses and spent the next week e-mailing back and forth with a couple of them. Met one guy the day after Thanksgiving at a museum in Golden Gate Park -- the day was gorgeous and sunny -- the guy was nice enough but clearly not a match. We parted ways after spending a couple of hours in the museum.

Back home, I checked email: A note from a guy I'd been corresponding with, had already established that we both lived in Pacifica and that he knew most of my authors, but this time he told me where he lived (three blocks) and his phone number, saying he'd love to get together for a coffee.

I didn't dither long -- it was too pretty a day. Called him. "I live three blocks from you. Want to go for a walk on the beach?" I asked. He said yes. "Meet me at the stairs in 20 minutes."

He did. I did. We walked. Talked. Kissed. Talked more. Came back up the stairs five hours later, in the dark, giggling the whole way.

And we haven't been apart since.

Now is that a fairy-tale ending or what!

No comments: