Sunday, December 22, 2013

Reverb 13: Day 20: Looking forward with gratitude

1.Forward is the only direction.
The mirror never lies, but everything in it is backwards. 
Look at what you see in the mirror. How does it change if you view yourself with eyes that can only look forward?
2. Gratitude | How did you show gratitude this year?  Did you keep a gratitude journal?  How do you want gratitude to play a role in your life in 2014?
1.  GAH. I've been thinking about this prompt for several days now, and I'm really not sure what to write. I'm pretty good at staying in the moment or moving forward with most things -- this time of year being a big exception -- and that forward-looking visage actually looks pretty good to me most of the time. Yeah, it's not what I looked at 30 years ago;  actually it's better in all the ways that really matter. I want to see what is there in the mirror TODAY, now, and be grateful for that, looking neither forward nor backwards. We know what has been; we don't know what the next moment may bring to us, so I want to cherish and love what I see in THIS moment. 
Yes, at this time of year, I do remember Christmases past and people who are no longer on this earth who I miss and love. I remember traditions and rituals we had that are no longer part of our observance, because the cast of characters and the settings have changed, and many are not relevant nor meaningful any longer. That doesn't mean I don't look forward; it just means that memory remains, probably clouded somewhat with mists of cookies and peppermint and pine and laughter, but that's not bad either. 
Today I am grateful that I can still see my image, that I am happy and loved, that I have enough of everything to sustain me. One day at a time. How does it get better than that?
2. I've spoken of gratitude in other posts; it has been a dominant theme for me this year. I started a gratitude journal, yes, but actually say gratitude prayers multiple times every day. And this year I found Anne Lamott's book "Help. Thanks. Wow. The Three Essential Prayers" to be an inspiring and touching meditation that I have re-read often -- it is often the book I open when I'm settled in bed at night. "Thanks" is a prayer that I say so many times daily, for so many reasons, and expect that to continue in 2014 with new ways to show gratitude.


No comments: