Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Another life completed

Word of another death today: Kay's husband had a stroke yesterday and died this morning. There will be a double funeral on Thursday.

I simply cannot imagine how their children will process this, even though they've known for some time that both parents had cancer and were in treatment. And while they're all grown, the oldest can't be much more than 36-37. It's hard enough to lose a parent when you're in your 50s and you've begun to accept death as an inevitable transition. My heart just goes out to the four children as they deal with the remnants of two lives.

Harder than that, though, would be to lose your child, regardless of their age. That is just *wrong* -- parents are not supposed to outlive their children. I know -- although not well -- parents who have had that loss, and I honor the strength and dignity that I have seen emerge from such a tragedy.

I want to hug my children today, and my husband, and tell them how much I treasure them, love them, and what a blessing they are to me. So often there is not time to say those words with an unexpected death, or a reluctance to say them when a loved one is dying. I want my family to know every single day how blessed I feel to have them, to love them, and to be loved.

So world, hear this: I am a lucky, lucky woman. I love and am loved. Whatever regrets I have are in the past, and it is what I do with today that counts.

And one more thing....
I've been reading lately about "end of life" care. One pioneer in this area is Dr. Scott Eberle, who will speak about his book The Final Crossing this Friday, Nov. 17, at Mercy Medical Center in Redding. Call 246-3749 for information.

Cherish this day.

No comments: