Friday, November 10, 2006

Singing through difficult passages

One of the friends I saw on my journey back to Indiana is dying tonight, and there's a movie that's been playing in my head all day of those years there, and our acquaintance. Kay was not one of my close friends, but we shared music in two choirs for some 9 years, had children about the same age, went to the same church, and had some good talks and a lot of giggles.

She has breast cancer that's metastasized to her liver and spine, and has been fortunate in that she has not had terrible pain with this long, slow decline. We share a best friend, Julia, who has kept each of us informed about the other's life since I left Indiana in 1990, and the three of us had a spectacular day together just a month ago. We shared stories, photos, memories, laughter, and a tear or two, and I'm so glad I got to hug her again.

Choral music was a huge part of my life then. Our little village had a community choir led by the choir director at the church I attended. We also had a church choir which included many of the same people as the community group. And both groups were GOOD: we sang challenging music including a couple of Glorias, a marvelous Te Deum, and many cantatas, plus contemporary and traditional anthems. We did madrigal dinners at Christmas and concerts at Easter and Christmas. Both Kay and I sang alto, and we often sat next to each other, helping each other sing the more difficult passages.

Kay is one of those people who is always optimistic, always matter-of-fact, always pleasant and smiling -- at least that's how I remember her. She didn't get wrapped around the axle about much of anything, even though there were many crisis points in her life where she certainly would have been entitled to some serious whining and crying. She just lived each day as it came, always present in that moment.

So I played a CD today of some of those choral works, and said prayers for her, for her husband who is himself battling leukemia, for her children, and for Julia who whispered goodbyes and thank yous and I love yous to Kay in the critical care unit last night. And I puddled a little, remembering that life that we shared and how many years have so quickly gone by. Such gifts, these years of life. Such treasures, these friendships. And how beautiful the song, as we help each other through these difficult passages.

Traveling mercies, Kay. Be safe, notice beauty, sing your song, enjoy the journey. God is with you.

No comments: