Thursday, May 17, 2007

My heart beats to the ocean

The best part about going to San Francisco -- aside, of course, from seeing Julie and being able to hug her and laugh and talk -- was wading in the beautiful, beautiful ocean at Ocean Beach.

That was our evensong -- the planned one to Grace Cathedral got scrapped when we realized it was already 2:30 (it started at 3) and we had just gotten our food in a restaurant in Ghirardelli Square. It wasn't going to happen.

So we enjoyed lunch, walked along the wharf with all the other tourists, and then took a drive out to the ocean and got our feet wet.

The ocean is always a spiritual experience for me. I threw my arms up to the sun, tilted my head back, and said hello...I've missed you...thank you for your constancy. And then I dipped my feet into those cold, cold waters, let the foamy surf roll between my toes and soak my pants legs, and played a little tag with the waves. I breathed deeply of that salt air, the moist ocean smell, to etch it again into memory so that in the hot, dry days of summer here I can remember it. The gulls swooped and soared, the water sang sweetly to the steady beat of the ocean's heart, and my senses and my heart were full.

It was a long drive home, although traffic was very cooperative. It was a quick trip, too -- up on Saturday, back on Sunday. I was tired, physically and emotionally, and very ready to get wrapped up in Tony's arms and settle into bed. It's a fun place to visit, and I'm glad I don't live there anymore, although I'd love to be a little closer to the ocean than several hours' drive.

Nonetheless, we live in a beautiful place and I'm grateful even for the red dirt and rocks. The garden is loving the heat and water, and we've enjoyed and shared lettuce and radishes so far, and everything else looks healthy and promising. I still can't believe we're in summer -- oh, I know what the calendar says, but triple digits are forecast for next week, so it's definitely summer. But in five months it will be cool and rainy again, or nearly. Everything changes.

Life is uncertain, and can change direction in a moment. I am so grateful for where I am and who I am, and for my husband. Ten years ago I knew I had to change, and I found new directions. I am so blessed with the results! Courage. Belief. Action. Putting one foot in front of the other, and walking the path that lies ahead of you is what it takes. May you find your own true self on your path too!

No comments: