Sunday, January 22, 2012

Icky cold -- we has it

I'd forgotten how icky it is to have a cold. And I'm very grateful that I don't feel especially sick: my nose is drippy but my sinuses are congested despite using the nasal irrigator, and I occasionally have a bitty cough. My chief complaint today is that I can't taste anything.

Not sure where I got it, but there are so many who have been so sick for weeks with flu and cold and stuff, so I'm glad mine seems very mild. I'm drinking tea and sucking lozenges and wishing the Cold FX had gotten here in time for this. Fortunately I've had no trouble sleeping at night.

I think it's been a number of years since I had a cold or been sick, and I'll be happy to resume that schedule. I probably failed to wipe off a grocery cart or wash my hands once I got home. Won't make that mistake again.

Here's the tea recipe that I got from a friend a few years back -- thanks! Also known as chai tea, but without the milk although you could add it, it really helps and is full of flavor, not that I'm tasting it today:

Masala Tea 
 
2 inch piece of ginger
9 cups  cold water
1 1/2 inch cinnamon stick
6 to 8 small green cardamom pods
6 to 8 whole cloves
1 tablespoon tea leaves, preferably a blend of Indian teas, or 2 or 3 tea bags
honey to taste
 
Scrape the ginger.  Place it on a board and give it a few gentle blows with a mallet so that it breaks into several pieces.
 
Pour the water into a medium-size pot.  Add the ginger, cinnamon, cardamom pods, and cloves and bring to a boil. (I use a tea brewing basket to hold the spices.)  Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. 
 
Add tea and boil 2 to 4 minutes.  Strain and serve the tea with honey to taste.
 
May you be well and not need to drink this for a cold remedy!

No comments: