Friday, December 13, 2013

Reverb 13: Day 13: Community and favorite things

1. The phrase “It takes a village” is often bandied about, in reference to child-rearing, running a business, just about everything. But if you’re anything like me, you may not be a natural born collaborator.

In 2014, how could you explore what community means to you?

It might be a question of sharing the load, asking for help or signing on someone with a complementary skill set. Or it could be about a creative collaboration that pushes you to explore new ideas and media.

Where might the alchemy be?


2. Favorite things | Give us a list of your favorite things from 2013.  Could be material items, food, people, anything!

1. I don't know that I am a natural collaborator although I certainly did and can work with others on a project. I am not good at asking for help, not necessarily because I think I can do it better, but because I don't want to inconvenience anyone. And yes, okay, sometimes I DO think I can do it better, or at the least, get it done when I want it done and how I want it done.  This is not an especially good trait, mind you. 
One of the humbling facts of aging is that there are times when we DO need help. While I'm still a very stubborn I-can-do-it-just-fine-thank-you-very-much kind of person, I am beginning to ask for help in some cases. Sometimes I want affirmation that my instincts are valid. Sometimes I want clarification or suggestions for direction. Sometimes I simply cannot do something and need a physical boost. I'm learning to ask.
I have expressed in these pages my desire to be part of a spiritual community, however, and there is an opportunity coming in January. If the mix of people and purpose is right -- and we won't know until we actually meet -- it could be the group I have been asking for, one that will explore creative community within a spiritual context. I want to approach this with an open, beginner's mind and see where it leads. And I am so grateful to be included in the initial stages!
2. Favorite things. I've already mentioned my favorite places: our great room lit by the minilights above the glowing woodstove, with Tony and the kitties all right there; and in our bed, also with kitties, every night. Any ocean beach is simply divine too. 
I love my heated mattress pad in the winter. I love organic cotton sheets on the bed, but I also love flannel sheets when it's cold. 
I love Alegria shoes, all of them. They perfectly support my arches and reconstructed foot, they are cute and funky and comfortable, with patterns or plain to suit my every mood and outfit.
I love  Amerileather patchwork purses. They make me smile.
Hot biscuits dripping with real butter and honey is pure comfort. 
I adore my husband. I am so grateful we are together in all things.
My favorite book was Anne Lamott's "Help, Thanks, Wow," which is enlightening and comforting when I'm beset with ice weasels. I read a lot of books this year and liked some of them very much, but this one speaks to my heart and soul.
I wear the same jewelry most of the time: rings, bracelets, all very meaningful to me. But I recently had made  a silver filigree sideways angel wing necklace with a pretty chain that reminds me I am constantly surrounded with light and love.  
I am grateful that I can see, hear, walk, speak, and understand, and that I am safe and loved, and that we have enough of everything. These are the best gifts of all. 

 
 

1 comment:

Kat McNally said...

I hope your new spiritual community is everything you hope for, Beth! x