Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Reverb 13, Day 17: My word; my habits

1. What word did you select to be your travelling companion in 2013? What gifts did this word bring?
 What word will you choose to guide you through 2014? What do you hope it will bring into your life?
2. 30 days | They say it takes 30 days to make or break a habit.  What did you start?  What did you quit?

1. The word for 2013 was clearly Recovery.  I suppose I chose it through the decision to have the surgery at the tail end of December, knowing that at the least the first four or five months of the year would be devoted to healing and rehabilitation, but it was not a ritualistic choice as I have done in a few past years, choosing three or four from among many words to guide me in the new year.
The word brought just that, but with it were blessings I have outlined elsewhere on these pages -- BEing instead of DOing, silence and stillness, easy conversations, humbling gifts of friendship, and accepting help in so many other ways. As the year continued and I was no longer walking with a cane, I found recovery in setting healthy boundaries for myself as well. 
I will choose a word(s) at the end of this year to guide me through 2014. I want to choose more things that make me happy. I want to focus more on what is right in front of me and less on projecting possible (and unlikely) outcomes to issues and fears. The words will find me.
2. The habit I began was regular visits to the gym for rehab on my foot, and then continuing after the prescribed visits were finished. It was a good one. And I quit going when the outside temperatures here exceeded 112, which is just too hot to do anything, including getting into a car and driving to an air-conditioned gym. And then we were traveling for several weeks at a couple of different times, further screwing regular visits to the gym or to yoga.
I will do this again. It needs to be a part of my routine for my own sake, for my health and well-being and safety. 

No comments: