Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Reverb 13: Day 9 -- Inspired surprises

1. Who inspired you in 2013? And why?
  What gifts did they give you? And how will you carry these forward in to 2014?

2. Surprise | What surprised you the most this year?

1. I was inspired most this year by the generosity of friends who brought food while I was convalescing from surgery, who called to see how I was, who visited or sent cards. It really made a difference that I had not expected at all.

My lesson in this was to find that kindness and caring in myself to respond to friends who are ill or convalescing or otherwise needing a boost -- and while I have done that a few times this year, it has not been consistent enough. I want to carry that resolve to help forward into 2014.

2. Not much really surprises me anymore, good or bad.

I confessI have been surprised by how nasty and evil people really can be as I've listened to tales about some of the people surrounding my daughter, but it's more of a despairing, horrified shocking surprise, really, to hear the stories of the squatters who have taken over her house, threatening her, stealing her phone and her car repeatedly. That she seems unable to extract herself from this situation is even more awful, and something I am powerless to do anything about.

I do not understand how someone can so deliberately take things that do not belong to them, deliberately injure or bully someone, and take what seems to be pleasure in doing so. I have never believed that people were truly bad to the core, but it appears I am wrong.

I will not be surprised when things get worse, unfortunately.

No comments: